[xiph-rtp] Fragmenting in RTP versus letting UDP fragment

Ken Linder (kc7rad) kc7rad at radstream.com
Tue Nov 2 07:29:51 PST 2004

Pardon my ignorance, or not, as the case may be (newbie here).  It is my
understanding that RTP normally rides on UDP packets.  That being the case,
there could be no retries...  right?

Now, if the RTP was riding on TCP, then there are built-in retries.  Of
course, using TCP throws away many advantages of UDP/multicasting.

Now, how the heck can I fin get real time SPEEX data to fit in a 256 byte
packet, eh?  :-)

Ken
KC7RAD