[Vorbis] Antw: Re: MP3/Vorbis/Opus: What I think I hear

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Fri May 15 20:00:25 PDT 2015

>>> Ivan Privaci <epicanis+xiph at bigroom.org> schrieb am 15.05.2015 um 21:11 in
Nachricht <4280454.DgYMHeydIm at squirrel>:
> On Thursday, April 30, 2015 08:06:21 AM Ulrich Windl wrote:
>>[...]Unfortunately my search for a good free player [that supports opus]
>> for Android was not
>> very successful (the shipped players all can't play Opus, and I think you
>> can't just install codes, or can you?)
>
> Sorry for the long delay, I've been meaning to reply to this part for two
> weeks.
>
> VLC for Android seems to handle .opus files (along with .ogg and .flac and
> just about everything else) just fine. I've been using it for a couple of
> years now.  It should be available in the Google "Play Store", and I
> know for certain that it's in the f-droid[1] repository/"app store" as well.

Thanks for answering! Actually I knew this, but didn't try, because:
The Windows version will play the audio files, but the GUI is designed for videos, not for audio, and I lack features like "music library" (view by albums, artists, year, etc.).
Foobar 2000 for ANdroid would be the thing I guess ;-)

> There are also other opus-supporting players out there, but I've not used
> any other than VLC.

I tried a few, but they failed by usability expectations.

> Also, as of "Lollipop", Android is SUPPOSED to natively support opus, but
> there's still what seems to be a stupid bug[2] preventing it from working
> right.

Good to know. I'd only wish that mobile phone vendors would update their firmware (Android) longer. I just don't want to buy new hardware, just because software is a XXXXX (censored).

> (If I'm understanding the situation, the codec is supported just fine, but
>  Google forgot to tell Android that ".opus"  [opus in ogg] was an actual
> media
>  file that it should recognize.  I've seen reports that if you manage to
>  "force" a native player to try to play a .opus file it actually works
>  currently, but the native system doesn't recognize ".opus" as a media
>  file...or something like that. Hopefully the next point-release of
> "Lollipop"
>  will finish fixing that bug, and then hypothetically any of the "native"
>  media players will support it).

I the the light at the end of a very long tunnel ;-)

Thanks!

Ulrich