[Vorbis] MP3/Vorbis/Opus: What I think I hear

Ivan Privaci epicanis+xiph at bigroom.org
Fri May 15 12:11:40 PDT 2015

On Thursday, April 30, 2015 08:06:21 AM Ulrich Windl wrote:
>[...]Unfortunately my search for a good free player [that supports opus]
> for Android was not
> very successful (the shipped players all can't play Opus, and I think you
> can't just install codes, or can you?)

Sorry for the long delay, I've been meaning to reply to this part for two
weeks.

VLC for Android seems to handle .opus files (along with .ogg and .flac and
just about everything else) just fine. I've been using it for a couple of
years now.  It should be available in the Google "Play Store", and I
know for certain that it's in the f-droid[1] repository/"app store" as well.

There are also other opus-supporting players out there, but I've not used
any other than VLC.

Also, as of "Lollipop", Android is SUPPOSED to natively support opus, but
there's still what seems to be a stupid bug[2] preventing it from working
right.
(If I'm understanding the situation, the codec is supported just fine, but
 Google forgot to tell Android that ".opus"  [opus in ogg] was an actual media
 file that it should recognize.  I've seen reports that if you manage to
 "force" a native player to try to play a .opus file it actually works
 currently, but the native system doesn't recognize ".opus" as a media
 file...or something like that. Hopefully the next point-release of "Lollipop"
 will finish fixing that bug, and then hypothetically any of the "native"
 media players will support it).

[1] http://f-droid.org
[2] https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=80729