[Vorbis] LibVorbis licensing inquiry

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Dec 4 09:33:40 PST 2014

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Jordan Verner <jv_erner at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am developing a game engine which will support Ogg Vorbis playback.
> If I were to use LibOgg and LibVorbis, would I then have to release my own
> product under BSD

No.  The BSD-style license does not affect your own code.  It only
requires attribution of the use of the Xiph code by including the
original license text somewhere.

> thus requiring anyone who created games with it to do the
> same and reference Xiph.org in their game's credits?

The Xiph copyright/license attribution will need to be preserved, yes.
That's not the same as releasing your own product under a BSD license.

> While I can definitely include a license file with my library, enforcing my
> own end-users to do the same would be difficult at best and so I'm wondering
> if there is a licensing fee or similar which would allow me to develop
> software which integrates LibOgg and LibVorbis without having to pass
> licensing restrictions on to my end users?

You're not liable for enforcement.  You need only follow the terms of
the license yourself.

Cheers,
Monty
Xiph.org