[Vorbis] LibVorbis licensing inquiry

Joshua Root josh+xiph at root.id.au
Mon Dec 1 15:43:32 PST 2014

If you want a definitive answer, you'll have to ask a lawyer (sadly).

My layman's understanding is that the license means that anyone who
distributes any part of libogg or libvorbis must include the copyright
notices and license text when they do so. That's all. It doesn't matter
who is doing the distributing, you or your users or anyone else, they
all have to follow that one simple rule to avoid copyright infringement.
Anyone who is not distributing the code covered by the license is not
affected by the license at all.

I don't think any country's copyright laws are crazy enough yet to make
you liable for your customers' infringement simply because they got the
code from you (but I could be wrong...). That would be like holding a
record store responsible when someone who bought a CD from them burns
copies of it to give to their friends.

- Josh