[Vorbis] Configure error, Ogg not found on Mac OS X

Joshua Root josh+xiph at root.id.au
Tue Apr 22 11:27:37 PDT 2014

On 2014-4-23 04:07 , Ralph Giles wrote:
> On 2014-04-21 2:30 AM, Joshua Root wrote:
>
>>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH='/usr/lib' clang oggpack.c -DDARWIN -fno-common -force_cpusubtype_ALL -Wall -g -O3 -ffast-math -fsigned-char -Wdeclaration-after-statement  -DUSE_MEMORY_H -I/usr/include -logg -lpthread -o oggpack
>>
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH is hardly used on OS X (only by dlopen() AFAIK)
>
> The equivalent on OS X is DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH.

It's not really equivalent, though. Before you use DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH,
you need to read the dyld man page very carefully and understand what it
does and the consequences of that. People often get in trouble when they
decide it would be a good idea to set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in their shell
dotfiles.

About the only time you want to use it is in a situation where you've
built a library but not yet installed it, like when running a test
suite. If you need to use it after the library is installed, that's
generally a clue that the lib or the executable using it isn't linked
correctly. Usually it's an incorrect install_name.

> /usr/lib should be in the
> default search path though. According to 'man dyld' on my 10.8 system,
> this is checked first, followed by DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH which, "By
>  default...is  set  to $(HOME)/lib:/usr/local/lib:/lib:/usr/lib."
>
> So the proper prefix for stuff you're compiling yourself is $(HOME)/lib
> for things you just need yourself, and /usr/local/lib for things you
> want available system-wide.

Yep.

- Josh