[Vorbis] Using libvorbis and vorbisfile in the Windows 8 store app environment

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 16:01:59 PST 2013

On 22 February 2013 15:26, Alex Barry <alex at cineclick.ca> wrote:

> I've used libvorbis many times in linux and windows <= 7 applications
> without any major problems, and wanted to know if that translates the same
> to the sandboxed windows 8 store app environment.  I'm playing around with
> it right now, and was able to get the library to compile fine (static), and
> was able to get it to compile within my project.  So far, no problems, but
> I was almost certain that there was some sort of heavy restriction on using
> fopen and friends within the sandboxed environment.  I am trying to play an
> ogg file and so far, my fopen_s() keeps returning non-zero, but I'm still
> working on debugging it (I'm assuming I just need to specify an absolute
> path rather than relative to the app).
>
> Anyone with windows 8 store app experience and tips?

(Ooops, meant to reply on-list. Alex got back to say the files are packaged
with the app, so what I've said below isn't the full answer, may be another
issue.)

I've no experience with it, but it looks like fopen is a non-starter:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winappswithnativecode/thread/718fc649-bcec-4b87-85ee-51fa129d06d7/

This will break SO much. Still libvorbis doesn't care about the data
reading mechanism as long as you can get the data for it. If you're using
libvorbisfile you'll need to use the callbacks API, <
http://xiph.org/vorbis/doc/vorbisfile/callbacks.html> and <
http://xiph.org/vorbis/doc/vorbisfile/ov_callbacks.html>.

--
imalone