[Vorbis] Encoding using Fishsound + Vorbis = Strange "RoboCop" artifact

Tuomo Latto djv at iki.fi
Sat Aug 31 02:28:42 PDT 2013

On 31.08.2013 02:43, Bob Ingraham wrote:
>> Can you post a short sample of the resulting audio, and paste a snippet of
>> the encoding code?
>
> I've posted 5-second samples (one each of: vorbis, speex, flac) here:
>
>>> Samples can be downloaded at: http://tablet.brin.com/
>
> As for the code, I'm not sure how to do a snippet, since the test code is
> in Java, calling a JNI-wrapper class, that in-turn invokes methods in a C
> DLL, which in-turn invoke the actual fishsound methods.
>
> I could post the source for the two java classes and the DLL on the web
> site along with the samples, if that helps.

I would check for any signed/unsigned mismatches and wrong data type sizes.
Then again, it might be the player is simply mishandling the multitrack data.

Or...
How about decoding the tracks separately to see if they are ok?
This is is what my very old build of ogginfo reports:
--- clip ---
Processing file "VORBIS_testme1.ogg"...

New logical stream (#1, serial: 00000001): type vorbis
New logical stream (#2, serial: 00000002): type vorbis
New logical stream (#3, serial: 00000003): type vorbis
New logical stream (#4, serial: 00000004): type vorbis
Warning: Vorbis stream 4 does not have headers correctly framed. Terminal
header page contains additional packets or has non-zero granulepos
Vorbis headers parsed for stream 4, information follows...
Version: 0
Vendor: Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20120203 (Omnipresent)
Channels: 1
Rate: 44100

Nominal bitrate: 80,000000 kb/s
Upper bitrate not set
Lower bitrate not set
User comments section follows...
        TITLE=Channel 4
        VERSION=2.0
        ARTIST=VAM
Warning: Vorbis stream 1 does not have headers correctly framed. Terminal
header page contains additional packets or has non-zero granulepos
Vorbis headers parsed for stream 1, information follows...
Version: 0
Vendor: Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20120203 (Omnipresent)
Channels: 1
Rate: 44100

Nominal bitrate: 80,000000 kb/s
Upper bitrate not set
Lower bitrate not set
User comments section follows...
        TITLE=Channel 1
        VERSION=2.0
        ARTIST=VAM
Warning: Vorbis stream 2 does not have headers correctly framed. Terminal
header page contains additional packets or has non-zero granulepos
Vorbis headers parsed for stream 2, information follows...
Version: 0
Vendor: Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20120203 (Omnipresent)
Channels: 1
Rate: 44100

Nominal bitrate: 80,000000 kb/s
Upper bitrate not set
Lower bitrate not set
User comments section follows...
        TITLE=Channel 2
        VERSION=2.0
        ARTIST=VAM
Warning: Vorbis stream 3 does not have headers correctly framed. Terminal
header page contains additional packets or has non-zero granulepos
Vorbis headers parsed for stream 3, information follows...
Version: 0
Vendor: Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20120203 (Omnipresent)
Channels: 1
Rate: 44100

Nominal bitrate: 80,000000 kb/s
Upper bitrate not set