[Vorbis] compile error

Jim Worrall coniophora at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 19:02:00 PDT 2013

On 2013 Apr 20, at 4:43 PM, Jim Worrall <coniophora at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2013 Apr 20, at 1:28 PM, Joshua Root <josh+xiph at root.id.au> wrote:
>
>> On 2013-4-21 04:47 , Jim Worrall wrote:
>>> I've been trying to figure out for a couple of days why I can't get libvorbis to compile.  It has me stumped, though I'm not a whiz at compiling from source.
>>>
>>> I'm installing on Mac OSX 10.8.2.  The relevant commands are:
>>>
>>> export CC=clang
>>> ./configure --prefix=${TARGET} --build=x86_64 --with-ogg-libraries=${TARGET}/lib --with-ogg-includes=${TARGET}/include/ --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-oggtest && make -j 4 && make install
>>>
>>> This error shows up 3 or 4 times:
>>> configure:12338: clang -o conftest -O20 -Wall -Wextra -D__NO_MATH_INLINES -fsigned-char  -DUSE_MEMORY_H   conftest.c -lpthread   >&5
>>> error: invalid value '20' in '-O20'
>>>
>>> config.log is attached.  I would really appreciate some pointers on what I am doing wrong.  Thank you.
>>
>> From the log:
>>> configure:2328: checking build system type
>>> configure:2342: result: x86_64-pc-none
>>
>> You probably shouldn't be passing --build at all; it's normally only
>> needed for cross-compiling. If you do set it, it should be something
>> like x86_64-apple-darwin12.
>>
>> The -O20 is hardcoded into the configure script, and probably shouldn't
>> be, since you could be using clang (on many platforms) and it rejects
>> it. However with the build system type set correctly it looks like you
>> won't see the problem, since -O20 is not used for darwin.
>>
>> - Josh
>
> Thank you - after removing --build=x86_64 from the configure command it seems to be compiling now.  For some reason, ffmpeg (my ultimate goal) is still not finding libvorbis when it tries to compile, but that seems to be another problem.  I am now getting a 'vorbis' folder in the includes folder, and various 'libvorbis*' files in the lib folder, so I guess libvorbis is no longer the problem.  Thanks again!
> Jim

I may have spoken too soon.  I tried without a --build= statement and with --build=x86_64-apple-darwin12.3.0.  With no build statement, some key lines in the libvorbis config.log say:

configure:2328: checking build system type
configure:2342: result: i386

If I use  --build=x86_64-apple-darwin12.3.0, I get

configure:2328: checking build system type
configure:2342: result: x86_64-apple-darwin12.3.0

Both times ffmpeg would error out claiming libvorbis was not found, although libvorbis gets built in both cases.  The ffmpeg config.log seems to suggest it is still something wrong with the architecture.  In both cases it says:

  "_vorbis_info_init", referenced from:
      _main in ffconf.sFaFW4NZ.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
ERROR: libvorbis not found

Can't find anything on these kinds of errors online.  Thanks for any help.
Jim