[Vorbis] (android) Re: Vorbis(ogg) and andorid

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 03:50:20 PST 2011

On 9 November 2011 10:40, Micol lupen <galaxi_999 at yahoo.it> wrote:
> Hi to all,
> i am a university student, i have this problem, i want to create application for android this application must to record and listen ogg file,
> i read that android use only ogg decoder for this problem i must use external library,wich library i can use ? can you show me some  HowTo or book or site where i can study for use this library? for develop i use Debian squize 64 bit and Eclipse Indigo

Hi, I don't know much about Android, some quick googling shows that:
1. There is floating point support
2. It's slower on some hardware than others (some hardware FP some emulated FP)
http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/design/performance.html
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3004915/getting-hardware-floating-point-with-android-ndk

This is hopeful, because there isn't an integer encoder implementation
I know of.

You have two choices I think. Either
1. Use the NDK http://developer.android.com/sdk/ndk/overview.html to
compile libvorbis and see the libvorbis encoder_example for how to do
encoding. http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/vorbis/examples/encoder_example.c
tie this in with the device's recording capability

2. Attempt to get vorbis-java to build and do the same thing
http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/vorbis-java/

Depending on encoding speed on your target it may be necessary to
record as wav and then encode afterwards.

--
imalone