[Vorbis] Ogg Vorbis for internet explorer 9

Matthew Heaney matthewjheaney at gmail.com
Sat May 7 15:42:19 PDT 2011

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 5:36 AM, informalibre <contact at informalibre.fr> wrote:

> I would like to know if there is a plugin for internet explorer 9 so
> that it supports playback of Ogg Vorbis files.
>
> In fact, I'm devellop a media site, and I use the tag <audio>. Since I
> want to promote ogg vorbis, I will require users to post their music in
> this format.

Note that IE9 supports MIME type "audio/webm" (Vorbis audio in a WebM
container), when the WebM components for IE9 are installed.

That's not exactly what you're asking for, but it's close, since
"audio/webm" should work on all modern browsers.  (Except Safari --
I'm not sure what the exact status of the QT support is.)

More info here:

http://blog.webmproject.org/2011/03/introducing-webm-in-internet-explorer-9.html

https://tools.google.com/dlpage/webmmf

-Matt