[Vorbis] Oggenc: Bug or feature?

Geoff Shang Geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Sun Sep 7 16:33:47 PDT 2008

Hi,

I just came across some behaviour in oggenc that I didn't expect and
wondered if this was intentional or not.

I was wanting to encode a Cd which has more than one artist, but several
tracks per artist.  The command I entered took the form of:

oggenc -n "%n - %a - %t.ogg" -a artist1 -N 1 -t title1 -N 2 -t title2 -N 3
-t title3 -a artist2 -N 4 -t title4 -N 5 -t title5 -a artist3 -N 6 -t
title6 ...

What I expected was that tracks 1 2 and 3 would use artist1, tracks 4 and 5
would use artist2 and track 6 would use artist3.  What happened was that
track 1 used artist1 and track 2 used artist2.  Presumably tracks 3 to 6
would have used artist3, I didn't let it run its course in order to find
out.

I can see why this is happening, but my question is was this what was
intended?  It seems that in order to achieve what I want, I need to type:

oggenc -n "%n - %a - %t.ogg" -a artist1 -N 1 -t title1 -a artist1 -N 2 -t
title2 -a artist1 -N 3 -t title3 -a artist2 -N 4 -t title4 -a artist2 -N 5
-t title5 -a artist3 -N 6 -t title6 ...

I am using OggEnc v1.0.2, apologies if there is a newer version which has
addressed this.

Geoff.