[Vorbis] multi channel Ogg Vorbis file corruption

Robert Bailey rob at the-treehouse-studio.com
Wed Jul 9 07:48:25 PDT 2008

Has anyone else created Vorbis files with more than 6 channels?  I'm a
game developer trying to use multichannel Ogg Vorbis files for a PS3
and XBOX 360 title.  Using the latest release libs and tools, I've
created a Mac application that weaves up to 8 stereo AIFF files into
one 16 channel Ogg file.  What I'm finding is that if anything more
than 3 stereo files (corresponding to a 5.1 audio file) are encoded,
then the encoded output becomes unstable.  I hear vocoder like
artifacts and garbled output on some of the stereo pairs.  It should
be noted that I'm using a linear permutation matrix, so that the
output file maintains the original stereo pairs, ie 16 channels in ->
16 channels out.
I've built Universal Binary versions of the latest Ogg and Vorbis libs
available for download, and meticulously tested my sample_read
callback, and everything is doing the right thing.  I've even built
raw and AIFF versions of a 16 track file, verified the integrity of
the data,  and run them through the readily available command line
encoders for PC and Unix.  The output corruption is identical to what
I experience on my own encoder.   The Vorbis encoder code itself is
extremely dense, and I suspect that any fix will be the domain of the
authors
So has anyone else had this experience?  As Ogg Vorbis is open source,
has anyone put up a patch for this?  Its incredibly frustrating, and
seems to be content dependent.  In some file groupings, it performs
brilliantly (I love the sound of Vorbis much more than MP3) for 3
minutes, and then goes to crap.  In others, the corruption is evident
much earlier.   It always appears at the same place for each file
group, no matter what the encoding settings.   Any and all advice is
greatly appreciated.

Robert Bailey
rob at the-treehouse-studio.com