[Vorbis] off: Audio CD's and Microsoft

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Sep 16 19:50:48 PDT 2007

On 9/16/07, Rick <cms0009 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Monty,
> Its not that, in the sense of fair play, Microsoft will use it for
> whatever pays the most $$$...It will ruin the audio quality of music,

So far, the watermarking techniques we've seen in use are all audible.
 It is perfectly theoretically possible to come up with one that
isn't.  Don't cry foul just because you hate Microsoft.  You don't
know yet if it's crap or not.

[and really, what could they do to audio that was worse than WMA? ;-]

> and create a new bureaucratic watch dog group

Music is already absolutely full of them. If you were in the music
business, you'd know that (and you'd also know several of them are
dysfunctional, unfair, and badly out of date). What watermarking
*could* do is enable royalty watchdog that actually works-- replacing
some of the ones that don't.

> in which WE THE PEOPLE will
> lose some more privacy.

Anonymity and privacy are not the same thing.

> I don't care, what the propose suggestion to the Music Industry was...
> but, if you keep chipping away at Freedoms and Privacy, SOON, there will be
> none, for YOU! and for ME!

This has nothing to do with either.  You don't get to redefine terms
to mean whatever you want them to (well, you do, but then the people
who might otherwise agree with you just think you're a nutjob).

> to fix some of the problems, with new artist getting paid...that easy enough,
> just have Music Industry show the new artist the BOOKS..,and sign off on it,
> just like they have to do, for the federal gov., when filling quarterly
> taxes., this way...the new artist will have a legal document, in which,
> if anything should happen, could SUE that record company,
> and throw someone in jail...neat huh!

Those books exist, but have no functional/working tracking mechanism,
and as such the books do not reflect reality.  That is what
watermarking could solve.

This is not an inherently evil technology.

> THEY WANT TO CONTROL US (WE THE PEOPLE)...Question: Whom controls THEM ?

The Unabomber, Xenu, and Lyndon LaRouche apparently.

Monty