[Vorbis] problems with various settings

Raymond Grote musicalman1 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 8 14:27:51 PDT 2007

Hi, my name is Raymond and I'm new to this list. While I think Vorbis sounds good with its "quality" settings, I have a few problems when I set the format to constrain the bitrate so it doesn't go any higher than 128KBPS, for example. This problem only occurs with stereo files, not mono. Let's say I set the format to use bitrates up to 45KBPS. Well, the low-pass filter has this problem, the closer the volume gets to 0DB, the lower the cutoff, by 0DB I think it's around 4KHZ cutoff but when the volume gets quiet it sounds like the cutoff is where it should be. The higher I let the bitrate go, the less the lowpass filter acts up, by 80KBPS I can't hear anything wrong with it. On the "dare to compare" section of the vorbis site I heard none of these low-pass problems. I'm guessing that the codec got installed automatically with the program I'm using and it was a beta version, or it was corrupted? The company said another customer reported the same problem. Maybe I can just re-download the codec and install it somewhere, but I'd have to know where to put it since I do not want to go replacing files without knowing what I'm doing first. Or isn't it that simple? As you can tell I'm kind of confused...