[Vorbis] quality -2 in vorbis?

Raymond Grote musicalman1 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 27 14:34:57 PDT 2007

Hi again,
I was just looking at reviews on vorbis and reading some listening test results when I came across several web sites that were saying something about Vorbis quality
-2. From what I read a few programs have Vorbis going down to quality -2 and I even think hydrogen audio forums mentions it in a speech compression topic. Does this quality really exist and has anyone even heard of it? I doubt it's in the standard, but then again it just might be. Has anyone heard of it or even so much as tested it at some point? Does this quality -2 setting sound better at 32KBPS or any low bitrate than its quality -1 alternatives? All I know at this point is that some software developers have implemented it, and that according to hydrogen audio forums topic on speech compression quality -2 gave 32KBPS stereo on 44.1KHZ files and 16KBPS mono at the same sampling rate. I actually don't think I believe those bitrates to be true, perhaps 40KBPS stereo and 28KBPS mono. I am very curious about this. Any info worth knowing?