[Vorbis] OGG decoding/multi-channel mixing

Joost Meijles joostmeijles at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 7 00:29:25 PST 2007

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the many responses, they are very helpful to me (they made me enthousiastic about Ogg and the community).

> > First of all how difficult is it to decode OGG on an ARM7/9 processor?> > At last check on an ARM7TDMI, Tremor mainline required about 40-45MHz> for stereo decode of one stream, assuming a setup using slow offboard> DRAM at 7-14 wait states and using on-board fast SRAM as a random> replacement cache.40-45 Mhz sounds like quite a lot, is this for optimized code? I know that for decoding MP3 around 9 Mhz is needed, when using optimized code. How does using mono, effects the CPU usage? Does it half the requirement to around 20 Mhz?

> Summarizing from a number of replies: mixing multiple streams in the time domain seems to be easier (or at all possible) compared to
> the frequency domain

Does anyone know of an implementation that has been created for Ogg (preferably capable of running on ARM) that provides mixing of multiple streams? I understood that somehow a Tremor implementation is available, but I did not quite understand that.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Kind regards,

Joost