[Vorbis] [Nico Sabbi] Re: [MPlayer-users] converting .rm video stream to .ogg

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Mar 23 04:21:57 PDT 2007

> do you really consider a sane approach having to update your code
> when a new format comes out? I absolutely disagree.

You ignored half of what I said.

> > If you don't have that mux shim, you don't have the codec either, so
> > you'd not be able to do anything with that specific stream anyway.
> > You can perfectly well handle an Ogg stream with a stream type that's
> > unknown.  You just won't be able to do forward mux operations on that
> > specific internal stream without that shim.  You will still be able to
> > stream, demux, etc.
>

> and how do you keep correct sync if timestamps are not perfect?

As long as you have a shim for at least one stream type, you have a
timestamp and that timestamp is perfect.  Again, you're ignoring what
I said about the design.  We already know it doesn't work the way you
insist on doing it.  We can keep going in circles if you like---
actully, no I'm not going to argue in circles.  I'm stopping here.

> we swear against any stupidity we find in content we have to deal with, not
> particularly against ogg

Your parties must be a blast :-P

I don't have any trouble constructing an abstraction that seperates
Ogg mux from code/decode, so I don' t think the problem is with me.
Sorry.

Monty