[Vorbis] Splitting a WAV file to aid gapless playback

Chris Harrington (Personal) webkid at webkid.com
Mon Mar 19 08:48:34 PDT 2007

Michael Smith wrote:
> On 3/19/07, Steve Fosdick <xiph at pelvoux.nildram.co.uk> wrote:
>> Is it possible to do the same with Ogg/Vorbis files, i.e. is there a
>> block/window size where I can make each WAV file to be encoded consist of
>> a whole number of these blocks?  So what is it please?
>
> Fortunately, with vorbis you don't need to do that.
>
> The format handles the start and end of the stream slightly specially,
> and will ensure that only precisely the correct number of samples are
> output.

He's not actually talking about the stream output itself; he's talking
about the sector size on the CD. Since a track boundary can only be on a
whole sector, but a sector consists of a bunch of samples, there can
still be gaps between tracks. He wants a way to split a Vorbis file
exactly on one of these boundaries so one can break a single file into
multiple tracks, but still have the audio line up absolutely perfectly.

At least, I think that's the case with a CD, Monty may show up and prove
me wrong.

Anyway. He's not starting with something he ripped from CD, he's
starting with a recording he wants broken into tracks.

As I noted in my other email, I think applications of Nero take care of
this transparently (perhaps by nudging tracks over a couple sectors and
performing other magic to make them seamless)

-Chris