[Vorbis] 2nd attempt - Repairing vorbis files

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 19:11:34 PDT 2007

<memo to self: email to /list/>
On 17/03/07, Gan Uesli Starling <alias at starling.us> wrote:

<snip>

> FYI about that...
>
> Know that I have never encountered a single problem from inserting ID3
> tags into Ogg Vorbis files. I have done this confidently for about three
> years.

<snip>

> Know that I have been doing this for several years totalling uncounted
> thousands of Ogg files. My method is converting audio books to Ogg Vorbis
> via CD Paranoia and then writing ID3 tags via EasyTag 1.1 on NetBSD OS.
> It should certainly work as well for any kind of Linux.
>
> Nor do I have any problem whatsoever to play them via WinAmp on Win2K,
> nor yet via XMMS on NetBSD nor yet on my Cowon IAudio5 MP3 portable
> device.

<snip>

> The purpose of my doing so is to simply keep an advance que of audio
> books to listen to on my Cowon IAudio5 player during my daily commute
> to and from work 65 miles away. I keep them on my HD and sample them
> (via XMMS if it is the NetBSD box or on WinAmp if it is the Win2K box)
> to choose which among my forward que of rented audio books I care to
> download for the next commute. XMMS and WinAmp display the ID3 tags or
> else I'd have to rely on titles. So it never occurred to me that I
> should not write ID3 tags. They also make it more convenient to see
> which chapter I am on in the display of the Cowon IAudio5 device.

Are you 100% sure that you are adding ID3 tags?  Easytag has a Vorbis
mode, which I assume adds real vorbis comments.  From experience with
iAudio products I'm pretty sure the IAudio5 can read Vorbis comments,
and I know XMMS and Winamp can.  From your description it really
sounds like you're using Vorbis comments.

--
imalone