[Vorbis] 2nd attempt - Repairing vorbis files

Oscar Sundbom oscar.sundbom at swipnet.se
Sat Mar 17 07:13:07 PDT 2007

Tomas Valusek skrev:
> Hello,
>
> No public anwer came to my previous post, and my problem is urgent, so
> I'm trying again.
>
> I'm using Ogg Vorbis since 2000 and some of my files appear to be
> damaged - at least some players reject some of them (WinAmp,
> Quintessential Media Player beta 116). Is there a repair tool for
> Windows which could rebuild vorbis files so that they all could be
> played in WinAmp, which is very choosy about oggs? Thank you.

I'm guessing these could be old format Vorbis files, from back in the
Beta days.
However, I haven't found Winamp to be choosy at all about such files.
Which version of Winamp are you using?

You could also look at finding a plugin for the player of your choice, that
handles vorbis files better than you're experiencing now.

If the files are actually damaged, I've no idea how to fix them. If it's
absolutely
imperative to play them soon (ie. you don't have time to locate the problem)
you could re-encode the non-working to Vorbis again (with a newer encoder).
Beware, however, that you will most certainly loose quality this way.
(A better option might be to just decode them with a less choosy
program, into
uncompressed .wav files, if you just need them for a short while, and
have the
space to spare.)

Regards,
Oscar