[Vorbis] A Macromedia Shockwave Flash-based Ogg player?

Andrew Lentvorski bsder at allcaps.org
Sun Jan 14 17:07:06 PST 2007

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:
> Andrew Lentvorski schrieb:
>> If you can get the Ogg Codec directly into that VM, then every Firefox
>> user gets an Ogg Codec.  That would be *HUGE*.
> Sure, there would probably be an enormous amount of web pages targetting
> only somewhere around 10% of their potential viewers.
>
> Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

So, having native Ogg support in 0% of web browsers is better than
having it native in 10% of all web browsers *how*?  Please explain that
to me because I don't seem to grasp your argument.

*Every* web standard started out at 0%.  I simply pointed out that the
VM donation gives Ogg the opportunity to go native.

New Firefox users get a nice Ogg codec.  Old users get your "Ogg decoder
in script" version (which takes quite a lot of CPU).

I don't see a conflict here.  Besides, what make you think that Adobe
wouldn't grab a fully written Ogg codec and pull it backward into their
own VM?  It gives them lots of leverage in their royalty negotiations
with other codec providers.

-a