[Vorbis] Filling holes in a FLAC file from an old Vorbis file

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Sat Jan 13 12:36:44 PST 2007

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I have a partly damaged CD, from which I extracted 192Kb/s Vorbis files
> a while ago (before it got damaged) and I'd like to get FLAC files.
> `cdparanoia' extracted most of the data from the CD, but there are some
> holes due to the damages.

So this is an audio CD and you used cdparanoia to rip the tracks to WAV
files?

> How could I fill those holes in my FLAC files using the Vorbis files?

I'd imagine that interpolation can't get you very far.  As a novice with
cdparanoia, I'd recommend trying:

- a slower speed rip,
- using different parameters with cdparanoia (letting it re-read damaged
areas more?),
- a different ripper than cdparanoia,
- finding another copy of the CD and ripping from that.

Again, I'm a novice at this and I don't have great reasons for these
recommendations.  I welcome correction and/or debunking from those who
know better.

What I'd love to hear is that some setting on cdparanoia will make it
spend an inordinate amount of time re-reading damaged areas of audio CDs
to produce the best rip possible (meaning no other ripper program can do a
better job).  I don't care about how long it takes to rip anything, I just
want the best quality possible.