[Vorbis] A Macromedia Shockwave Flash-based Ogg player?

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Thu Jan 4 17:30:53 PST 2007

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:
> Balatoni Denes schrieb:
>> Yes, good job indeed!
>>
> Thanks! Part of the choppiness was caused by a bug in the decoder and
> should be fixed now. I am not sure why, but the sound is better when I
> run it in the Flash player as a separate application instead of
> embedded on a web page. The CPU load is quite high, could it be that
> the Flash plugin, ActiveX-control, whatever somehow limits the CPU
> load caused by the currently running ActionScript? Sounds odd to me
> and is not really on-topic here, but using the separate Flash-player
> and Vorbis streams with <=128kbps bandwidth, the playback is more or
> less without glitches here (Windows, Athlon 64 3400)..
>
> Tor

this is extremely good news for a few reasons :

1. Streaming media broadcasters have been waiting for something like
this for a long time.
2. Adobe's existing support for streaming media from Shoutcast/Icecast
servers is *horrible*.  If it works (big IF), then it has all sorts of
crazy effects - try connecting a flash player to a icecast stream, and
even if you stop the player (sound.stop()),it will continue to download
the stream until it's local cache is full - and that is quite huge.
Adobe's streaming code is just bad...all over bad..and so far they've
refused to fix it.
3. There is no support for metadata synchronization.  This makes
internet radio players have to do crazy things in order to sync the
metadata to the stream.
4. this brings a whole new reason why internet broadcasters can switch
to streaming in vorbis.  The biggests complaint (by far) is the fact
that a specialized player was required to listen to a vorbis stream.  If
a broadcaster can switch to vorbis without alienating their clients (by
requiring they install a new media player) there aren't a whole lot more
barriers to entry anymore then.

A few things to think about :

1. without seeing the actionscript, I'll assume that it's fairly simple
to grab a stream rather than just a file on the server-side.  If you
need help testing with icecast, I'll be more than happy to help test it out.
2. handling chained bitstreams.  This is critical to streaming from
icecast.  I assume since this is a port from jorbis (I think), that
should be covered.
3. source code!

oddsock