[Vorbis] icecast

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Sun Apr 29 10:52:57 PDT 2007

Hi,

Sorry for breaking the threading, I originally sent this from the wrong
Email account.

Hi Steve,

I'm guessing you want visitors to hear specific files from beginning to end.
Icecast doesn't really help you here either, or at least it doesn't do
anything that a simple webserver can't do.  Icecast is meant for live
streams that people tune into the middle of, if that makes any sense.

My suggestion is to get them to click on a .M3U or .PLS playlist pointing to
the file you want them to hear, and it should just work.

For example:

<A HREF="http://www.myserver.com/song.m3u">Click here to listen</A>

where song.m3u contains

http://www.myserver.com/song.ogg

You can of course use Icecast in fileserving mode to serve files, and it
will autocreate .M3U files for you if asked to do so (e.g. by calling
http://icecast.myserver.com:8000/song.ogg.m3u), but installing Icecast
simply to do this would be overkill

The .PLS format is more complicated and I don't have an example in front of
me, but the advantage of using it is that you're much more likely to strike
a player with Vorbis support (M3U should open in the default MP3 player
which may not necessarily have the required codec installed).

Hope this helps,
Geoff.