[Vorbis] Play ogg stream

Oscar Sundbom oscar.sundbom at swipnet.se
Sat Oct 14 16:18:38 PDT 2006

Phuoc Do skrev:
> Hello,
> I am trying to write a Ogg player that plays the Ogg stream sending
> from the icecast server (similiar to WInamp).  So the player needs to
> read the bits and send them to the sound card.  So I tried to use the
> SDL library to do this.  However, sample rate changes in the Vorbis
> stream which disrupt SDL playing.  I wonder what the proper way to
> handle sample rate changes in a Vorbis stream is.  Some posts on SDL
> mailing list talk about interpolation the bits in SDL but it sounds
> too complicated.

I'm quite certain the sample rate doesn't change during an icecast
stream. I'm not even sure it's even possible.
The bitrate may, however, change. That's handled by vorbis, so you don't
have to care.
The sample rate may differ between streams, but then you just make sure
you re-open the sound card with the new parameters.