[Vorbis] What the difference between oggenc &

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Nov 16 01:50:14 PST 2006

On 11/16/06, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16/11/06, John Edwards <john.edwards33 at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > Richard wrote:
>
> > > OggEnc GT3?
> > >

> > The GT3 version is based on an old version of the libraries tuned for
> > specific quality settings by Gian-Carlo Pascutto, whose nic is Garf,
> > hence, G(arf)T(uned)3; there having previously been a GT2 version.
>
> I'm unable to remember if those tunings have been folded back
> into the reference encoder, although I think they were. Anyone?

In part they were; Garf was going for a differnet performance envelope
than we wanted in the default encoder.  IIRC (Garf may contradict me
here), what we didn't fold back in was that his encoder allocated many
more bits to sections of heavy impulses and transients.  My opinion
was that the encoder was overtuned for impulses at the expense of
overall bitrate performance, but if preecho is the artifact you hate
most, you would probably disagree with me and the GT encoders would be
interesting to you.

Monty