[Vorbis] Split an audio in more part and recreate the original

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at rfa.org
Fri Mar 31 12:41:01 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 07:35:26PM +0200, Lorenzo wrote:
> Hi all,
> I would like to split an audio stream into more encoded flows (for
> example 1, 2 and 3) that have these features:
> 1)  The flows  must be re-assemblable and must generate the original
> stream (1+2+3 = original stream)
> 2)  I can listen only the flow number 1 (even if the audio quality is
> worst than the original, of course)
> 3)  I can listen only the flows number 1 and 2 (the quality of the audio
> is better than if I've got only the flow number 1, but worst than if
> I've got all the three flows)
> 4) Each flow use less bandwidth than the original flow (otherwise is
> useless!)
>
> It is like TV that broadcast black&white information and colours. We can
> view only B&W , or we can view also the colors.
>
> Vorbis can help me to do this? How hard is it?

I think the vorbis community thinks of this in the opposite direction
and calls it bit-rate peeling. As I understand it is theoretically
possible and provided for in the spec, but thus far no-one has been able
to devote the resources needed to make it happen (i.e. no one has itched
badly enough to scratch it or pay someone to scratch it for them). I may
be a bit of touch on that issue, though. Maybe things have changed in
the past ~6 months.

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki
Apprentice Linux Audio Developer and Mostly Harmless Sysadmin