[Vorbis] Suggesting Vorbis Test Suite

Ulrich Windl ulrich.windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Mar 28 01:19:21 PST 2006

Hi,

I'm one of these users with a Samsung YEPP MT6, using it with Ogg/Vorbis. After an
initial success with the files I ripped myself (using SuSE Linux and my own CDs),
I changed my programs to follow the Vorbis comment recommendation (Use multiple
identical tags for multiple occurrencies like "ARTIST").

As it turned out, almost no existing software can deal with that.

For the MT6 this means that adding such a files causes the player to refuse to
play other files that played without problems before (The infamous "No entry"
bug). While it's possible to upgrade the firmware, Samsung does not offer any
newer firmware. I even filed a support request with the result: "we are working on
it" (two months ago at least).

The other thing is that the player suddenly "hangs", playing a continuous tine
until the battery is removed. This happens non-reproducible (replaying the same
file succeeds then), so that I'm unsure whether nearby mobile phones could make
the thing crash (usually that happens in the morning bus to work).

After all I'd like to suggest having a test-suite with Vorbis files (tag tests,
sound tests, etc) on the web-site for vendors to check compliance against. I see
the issue with copyrighted music, so we need a good idea (or musicials willing to
donate material). I once made a sinus sweep from 20 to 20kHz (for fun), and I'd
like to contribute that if anyone likes (the file was recoded from WAV, but it
would probably much more perfect if the sweep were done in Vorbis' frequency
domain. (i.e. oggenc would guess the frequency from discrete samples, so it would
be better to directly feed the frequencies into the encoder, but the matchs were
too complicated for me))

Mow well that's it.

Regards,
Ulrich