[Vorbis] splitting vorbis files

James M. Rotenberry rotenber at io.com
Mon Mar 27 09:42:04 PST 2006

Luis Cordova

Thank you for your message.

> Please let me know more specifics on your application.

There are radio stations that stream audio over the Internet 24 hours
a day in Ogg Vorbis at a constant bit rate, and it is possible to
capture these files. I would like to remove the commercials.

It would be possible to edit the files using audacity or some other
interactive application, but this would be very time consuming.

My idea is to find the correct 'silent gap' parameters to split
the file into music and talk pieces. I am guessing that even a
crude (automated) spectral analysis should be able to separate the
music files from the talking files, and the talking files can be
discarded. If a few music files are discarded as well, there is
plenty more music where they came from!

To keep the audio as clean as possible, the file should be sliced
as ogg vorbis and not converted to a new format and then converted
back to ogg vorbis (like audacity).

If the process can be completely automated, you can capture at
night and listen during the day.

Regards,
 JM Rotenberry
 rotenber at io.com