[Vorbis] What the heck? A Vorbis scam?

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Jan 17 13:02:21 PST 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 08:40:18PM +0000, Ivo Gonçalves wrote:

> Just today I received a weird e-mail that contained a worm (WORM_GREW.A)
> attached to it.

It's probably unrelated. After all the subject has nothing to do with
the content. It's not unusual for worms to snip real text out of stored
mail or the local browser cache and paste it into the body to help the
payload get through spam filters. It's amazing how often that generates
something that's personally interesting. The coincident birthdays
effect, I guess.

You don't quote the whole header, but this ip address looks like
a DSL line in india. Same country, but not on the same subnet as the
vinjey.com domain or its mail server.

In short, it looks like a typical worm. It's all designed to encourage
you to click on that attachment...

> I then read the FAQ at their site. Apparently their Vorbis encoder
> supports bitrate peeler (or it's starting to), and offers DSP support
> and whatever else.

Well, first I'd heard of the product. Let's all wish them luck!

 -r