[Vorbis] high bitrate quality?

Nic Watson nic at ghs.com
Tue Jan 10 10:50:19 PST 2006

You can find testimonials all over the place.  You'll find mine below.
However, there's nothing like your own ears to be the final judge.
Simply encode a handful of representative tracks at increasing quality
settings until you can't tell the difference anymore.

I think I have above average ears (music training and such), and on my
best equipment and decent headphones I think I can occasionally tell a
difference at quality 5, but not at 6.  So I archive at q7.  As always,
your mileage may vary.

At the same time, hard drives are pretty cheap these days.  One can
remove the subjectivity from the problem and just encode everything in FLAC.

Nic