[Vorbis] Re: Write pure sine to *.ogg directly?

Gan Uesli Starling alias at starling.us
Tue Feb 21 02:15:46 PST 2006

Paul Martin wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 03:32:10PM -0500, Gan Uesli Starling wrote:
>
>>I can define a sine wave in Perl easily enough, or a haversine, or
>>a bezier. Have done all three previously.
>

> Why would you want to use a haversine (1-cos(2x))/2, when it has a DC
> offset the same as the amplitude? It's equivalent to a sine wave,
> anyway.
>
> I assume a "Bezier" is a series of splines with control points at
> (2t,+1) and (2t+1,-1) with t taking integer values?

Not for sound, do I use haversine, but in my editor for MTS RPC time
history road load data files, detailed here...

http://starling.us/tet/gus_perl/#GUS-1

...to simulate, for instance, the bounce of an automobile tire over
cobblestones or a pot hole with the vehicle weight included. That is
what I do for a living, test car stuff.

A stranger thing to wonder about is why on Earth do I do it in Perl?
Answer...it was an improvement over the first version which I'd
written in PostScript. Why PostScript? Because that's all I knew at
the time. I actually prototyped it via telnet through the serial
port of an Apple Laserwriter because my department's budget was kind
of thin at the time. Which also explains use of the Bezier function...
because it was there. For fatigue of steel, wave shape and frequency
don't matter...but for hydraulic servocontrollers the slope at zero
crossing do (if there is even a tiny ammount of backlash) so Bezier
is good way to re-expand compressed (Peak & Valley only) road load
data.

But now I work in rubber where frequency does matter. But otherwise
it is the same line of work: fatigue and durability of automotive
componenets.

Picture one of those big, yellow fixtures you see in car commercials
with a robot attached to each wheel, the car going up and down like
on a road, but inside a laboratory. That sort of thing, but on a
componenet and subassembly level...not the whole car.

Which has nothing to do with either Ogg or Morse code, but hopefully
answers your question.

Respectfully,

Gan Starling, KY8D
Kalamazoo MI USA