[Vorbis] Where are the Portable Devices at vorbis.com ?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 10:33:15 PST 2006

Gervase Markham wrote:
> Ian Malone wrote:
>
>>Part of the problem is that it's a wiki; the more (and harder to find) the
>>information the more innacurate and incomplete it becomes.
>

> Why is that a particular characteristic of wiki-stored information?
>
> I would say it being a wiki is an advantage; it means that multiple
> people can collaborate easily on improving matters.

Maintenance of information vs collection of information.  Maintenance
work increases as the volume of information grows and is much less
interesting.

An online retailer, for example, has financial and legal reasons for
needing to get their information right[1].  It is someone's
responsiblity, which means that someone is paid to do it (someone who
probably has good access to the necessary information).

Also, the more information you need for an entry, the greater the
barrier to people contributing.  In an ideal world you could persuade
manufacturers to fill in their entries.

I think your suggestions are good, but there's a danger of trying to
do too much and simply becoming a source of outdated and misleading
information.  Say you're in Australia, and players A, B and C are
available in Australia, but only A & B list availability in Australia.
You are either back to square one - having to research availability -
or you assume C isn't available and make a misinformed choice.  Of
course, back at square one you do have more information than you
started with

[1] I don't mean retailers are always 100% reliable sources of
information but they have an interest in being right about what they
sell and how much it costs.

--
imalone