[Vorbis] Where are the Portable Devices at vorbis.com ?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 07:20:45 PST 2006

On 2/20/06, Gervase Markham <gerv at gerv.net> wrote:
> Ian Malone wrote:
> > How can it be improved?
>
> Fair question :-)
>
> Make it a table - or rather, four tables, for each combination of
> flash/hard disk and current/historical, with historical data below
> current. Split it up by model, not just by manufacturer - one
> manufacturer can have many different models with widely differing
> feature sets. Provide a link to the manufacturer's product page for each
> model, and either a table-based or a freeform list of commonly-sought
> features (microphone, radio, capacity, other formats). Provide details
> of which countries a player can be purchased in and, if it's not
> commonly available, details of how to find it in major markets (US, Europe).
>
> I want to be able to come to the page (as I tried to recently) and say
> "I need a flash-based player with a built-in USB connector and a mic,
> available in Europe", and find which models I should be googling for
> without difficulty.

Part of the problem is that it's a wiki; the more (and harder to find) the
information the more innacurate and incomplete it becomes.  I can
fill in for a couple of devices that they're available in the UK, some I
know you can get in France etc, but just because I don't know whether
you can get it in Korea or Japan doesn't mean you can't.  Availability
is a particularly difficult area with most of these devices, since many
manufacturers seem to ship them in batches at irregular intervals.

At the moment it's really a resource to be used alongside your other
research (personally my strategy is find out what's available here, then
go and check vs Vorbis support and whatever else I might be looking for).
I don't believe it could successfully aim to be comprehensive. Listing
features more explicitly might be worthwhile though.  Perhaps this part
of the discussion should go onto the wiki talk page.  Is there someone
coordinating the hardware players page?

--
imalone