[Vorbis] Write pure sine to *.ogg directly?

Gan Uesli Starling alias at starling.us
Mon Feb 20 06:39:35 PST 2006

Hello,

I am author of a Morse code training software written
in Perl at http://starling.ws/morse

Currently I output to *.wav and, if on Unix, convert to
*.ogg. And that's okay for a trainer.

But I have desire to upgrade the project to a real-time
communication tool...or at least a Morse code audio
mail routine. And I should like to avoid *.wav.

I'd like some means of writing a pure sine wave straight
to *.ogg just as I currently can to *.wav (using the Perl
Audio::Wav module).

This would involve turning on and off a sine wave of N mS
duration with silences between. And the leading edges of
these sine-wave segments require a not-too-abrupt rise time
to avoid what Morse folks call "key clicks" and, if I read
correctly, cause "pre echos" in compressed audio.

Bearing in mind that I know nothing about audio codecs beyond
being able to use Perl's Audio::Wav module, have I any hope of
accomplishing such a task in Perl with output direct to *.ogg?
Where would I start in such a case?

Respectfully,

Gan Starling, KY8D
Kalamazoo MI USA