[Vorbis] DRM and Ogg Vorbis ??

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 06:14:54 PST 2006

On 13/02/06, Ken Petty <ken at oggcafe.com> wrote:
>  Ulrich wrote:
>
> I would like to know whether it is possible to use any DRM scheme with
> Ogg-Vorbis ?
> My idea would be to distribute music commercially and be able guarantee to
> artists that they won't be copied freely.

The real problem is that most schemes for most codecs (proprietary
or open) can be circumvented by the people who don't want to pay.
Which only has to happen once.

To do DRM on vorbis I'd suggest doing something like encrypting the
headers and/or the data packets and using a decryption key accessed
by the player, manged copying rights by having track-unique keys
transferred between databases. (I have no experience creating computer
security systems, so there is probably some fatal flaw here)

Of course this is non-standard, won't work on any other player and is
incredibly inconvenient for paying customers (DRM seems to be more
convenient for pirates).  Solutions like Ken's below (and others like
Magnatunes) are better in the long run I think.  Technical measures
for technical problems, legal measures for legal ones.

--
imalone
(developing a horrible habit of mailing vorbis at xiph.ogg)