[Vorbis] Java/MIDP Vorbis player ?

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo tor-einar at jarnbjo.de
Thu Aug 31 03:54:27 PDT 2006

I've actually managed to modify my J-Ogg library to be MIDP2.0-compliant
and make the player run on the J2ME emulator from Sun's SDK. A problem
with "real" cell phones is, that the Java multimedia API is very
restricted and most phones are not even able to play 44,1kHz PCM-encoded
WAV files through Java. E.g. the Siemens phones are almost all
restricted to 22,05kHz ADPCM-encoded mono WAV files. Another problem, at
least with the Siemens phones, is that they don't support streaming
playback of WAV files, so wrapping the J-Ogg decoder in an Outputstream,
which delivers WAV data, causes the phone to decode the entire Vorbis
stream before trying to play the result. I made this work with very
small Vorbis files on a Siemens CX75, but there don't seem to be any
possible ways to play "regular" 44,1kHz stereo Vorbis files.

Tor