[Vorbis] Stream "Saving" and Excerpting...

Jason M. Sullivan jsullivan at nc.rr.com
Wed Sep 28 06:18:22 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:06:21PM +0200, Michael Smith wrote:
> > Now, I didn't write the code that does this (it's some python mess), but
> > I'm rewriting the assembler part and starting from the source code for
> > "vcut".  The problem with that is that "vcut" seems to use several API
> > calls not documented in the API documentation...
>
> It's not clear whether you require sample-precise editing or not.

Hmm.  I'm not sure what you mean by that.  The slop in the reassembley
program is about a minute, which is fine. (so I'm guessing I don't need to
be sample-precise).  The people downloading the reassembled files can load
it into an editor (once I can figure out how to fix the headers).

> If you don't need sample-accurate editing, starting with vcut is a bad
> idea. It's a heap of extra complexity that you don't need.

How can I de-complexify it?

> If you do need it, starting with vcut is a bad idea. It's very buggy,
> and doesn't implement everything it would need to. It's also very
> messy code.

I'm getting that impression :-)

   ////           Jason M. SULLIVAN   jsullivan at nc.rr.com
  |c-oo                  http://www.jason0x21.org
   \_-     "That's not music, that's just sound!" - J. David Fries