[Vorbis] Stream "Saving" and Excerpting...

Jason M. Sullivan jsullivan at nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 27 16:41:12 PDT 2005

I'm working with a streaming Ogg Vorbis system where I'm taking the stream
output (from a darkice server) and saving it to hour-long files, then
reassembling excerpts from these files (sometimes spanning two or three)
into a single file for playback.

I've got two problems (well, related to this, but anyway).

1) The "chunk" files I'm saving into have mangled headers.

2) The "reassembled" files also have mangled headers.

Now, I didn't write the code that does this (it's some python mess), but
I'm rewriting the assembler part and starting from the source code for
"vcut".  The problem with that is that "vcut" seems to use several API
calls not documented in the API documentation...

vorbis_synthesis_headerin()
vorbis_synthesis_init()
vorbis_block_init()

I'm also wondering if I'm going about this all wrong, since there doesn't
seem to be any easy way to do what I'm doing.  All the API calls seem to be
centered on encoding and decoding, rather than simply cutting and splicing
encoded packets.

   ////           Jason M. SULLIVAN   jsullivan at nc.rr.com
  |c-oo                  http://www.jason0x21.org
   \_-     "That's not music, that's just sound!" - J. David Fries