[Vorbis] Can't access www.xiph.org from Japan

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 26 01:28:10 PDT 2005

<begin RFC>
RFC 2616                        HTTP/1.1                       June 1999

10.4.7 406 Not Acceptable

    The resource identified by the request is only capable of generating
    response entities which have content characteristics not acceptable
    according to the accept headers sent in the request.

    Unless it was a HEAD request, the response SHOULD include an entity
    containing a list of available entity characteristics and location(s)
    from which the user or user agent can choose the one most
    appropriate. The entity format is specified by the media type given
    in the Content-Type header field. Depending upon the format and the
    capabilities of the user agent, selection of the most appropriate
    choice MAY be performed automatically. However, this specification
    does not define any standard for such automatic selection.

       Note: HTTP/1.1 servers are allowed to return responses which are
       not acceptable according to the accept headers sent in the
       request. In some cases, this may even be preferable to sending a
       406 response. User agents are encouraged to inspect the headers of
       an incoming response to determine if it is acceptable.

    If the response could be unacceptable, a user agent SHOULD
    temporarily stop receipt of more data and query the user for a
    decision on further actions.
</begin RFC>

I agree with Christopher Bouevthat making the warning more human
friendly would be worthwhile:
Sorry, the Xiph.org homepage is [only available in English/not available
in xxx] and your browser [does not list this as an acceptable option/
will not accept this option].  The English version is available at...

However, I'd point out the note which says it may be acceptable to
supply a response not corresponding to the accept headers.  AFAIK
there is only an English page.  The user typing www.xiph.org into
their address bar is going to be a little suprised to see a warning
they likely don't understand (whereas a page in a language they don't
understand they will at least be used to and the warning is in
English anyway), and I get the impression 406 is aimed at cases
where the UA really wouldn't be able to make sense of the response.
A UA that really cares the user is protected from seeing English
could, in theory, stop and prompt.

Finally I'd like to say I think the OP is being constructive, even if
Xiph does decide to retain the current behaviour.  This is something
which doesn't seem to have been considered deeply.

(PPS, apologies for any errors above; I'm in a bit of a rush)

imalone