[Vorbis] metadata

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 11 07:56:55 PDT 2005

Ralph Giles wrote:

> Well, helix should handle general Ogg streams. :)

I hadn't tried it on Windows RealPlayer 10, I just did
with a slightly modified version (see below).  It
doesn't play, but it does produce an error:
"The XML page cannot be displayed"
When I get a chance I'll create a stream containing
valid rdf/xml (I've got one I've just verified RP10
can display) and see what happens.

WRT to Unix Helix/RP I've got a post on the helixcommunity
forums atm, but no responses.  I'll repost on their mailing
list shortly.

Slight modification:
On a whim I put the XML pages after the first 3 Vorbis pages
(maybe four, I'll check the code).  So it goes:
Vorbis bos
XML bos
Vorbis
Vorbis
XML eos
Vorbis
Vorbis eos.

This now plays on Winamp 5.094 and Windows Media Player+
Illiminable (albeit with a click at the start under WMP).
Vorbisgain can now process the file.  However any Vorbis
comment editor I've tried destroys the XML bos and produces
a corrupted ogg stream (the Vorbis content seems to play
okay through ogg123).

 From what I can see in vorbisfile, ( while(i<3){ogg_stream_pagein...
in _fetch_headers) the problem arises in the failure to push a
page into the vorbis stream (because of the different serial number).
Why the above scheme should work when:
Vorbis bos
XML bos
XML eos
Vorbis
doesn't I don't know, in both cases I'd expect things to break
when the XML bos gets ogg_stream_pagein-ed.

--
imalone