[Vorbis] RE: Oggenc/oggdec on Mac OS X

Mikael Hillborg mikael at mhc.se
Tue Nov 15 13:31:51 PST 2005

Hi,

> I installed libogg and libvorbis through DarwinPorts, and I have both
> static (.a) and dynamic (.dylib) versions of the libraries. So that
> shows that it is quite possible to build the libs statically. You
> should be able to link the static libs into your program directly.
> You'll still need to be dynamically linked to the system stuff.

Yes, the .a libs are built when you run "make all" on the libogg
and libvorbis distributions from a console. But how do you build the
vorbistools oggenc and oggdec to link against these .a libs and not
in runtime using the .dylibs? That's the question.

I don't want to link against Apple's system libs. There's no need
for that. Just to link against the ogg and vorbis libs which are
static (.a) and reside under /usr/local/lib/. How do I build
the oggenc and oggdec tools so they're linked with the .a libs
and not the .dylibs?

For example I want to link with /usr/local/lib/libogg.a and not
the /usr/local/lib/libogg.0.5.2.dylib. The latter is the default.
In other words, linking to the dynamic lib is the default behaviour.
It should be possible to change somewhere in the Makefile or in the
configure file to override the default. But I cannot find the place.
Anyone? I noticed that the configure script has some options.
Can it be specified that way?

Another problem...
I tried building with Xcode instead, using the project file (vorbis.pbproj)
in libvorbis-1.1.1 to see if I can build and link as static libs. But the
project file refers to misc.c and .cvsignore. There are no such files in
the distribution. Neither in libogg-1.1.2 nor in vorbis-tools-1.1.1.
Compiling without them, in Xcode, results in a number of error messages.
Anyone has a clue why?

Mike