[Vorbis] Ogg files versus Ogg streams

Robert Hui legatek at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 15:47:27 PST 2005

Hi all,

I'm very new to Ogg, and am learning about it in an attempt to stream it
from a CF card through a microcontroller.  This particular setup requires
me to move parts of the file from the CF card to the microcontroller
buffer, effectively making the file like a data stream.  Also, should this
question be directed at the Tremor group instead since that is the codec
I'm using?  It seems like a generic Vorbis question, versus something
specific to Tremor.

My question is this: As far as ov_open_callbacks(..) is concerned, is the
*datasource parameter expecting a pointer to part of an Ogg file
(specifically, the beginning where I assume the Ogg identifying info is
placed).  And if this is the case, can I assume that bringing the Ogg file
in piece-meal fashion only requires a change to the way ov_read(..) will
handle not having enough data to decode a single Ogg page (i.e. - if the
remaining data to be decoded is >1 Ogg page)?  Note that I do not need the
ability to seek in this file, only play back the file.

Thanks,
Robert Hui