[Vorbis] Bitrate peeling on existing (older) streams ?

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Thu May 12 15:49:04 PDT 2005

Dominic Radermacher (dominic.radermacher at gmx.de) wrote:

> I think I am not alone with this questions, since it is one of the
> most elementar advantages over other lossless encoded formats (like
> mp3)

That's probably just a typo, but to be clear (because this is important...):

MP3 and Vorbis (among others) are *lossy* audio codecs.
FLAC, Shorten and Monkey's Audio (among others) are lossless.

A lossless codec would always be "peelable", because it contains all the
original information of the unencoded audio stream.  (The only question
would be how efficient the "peeling" process could be made.)

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |