[Vorbis] Bitrate peeling on existing (older) streams ?

Dominic Radermacher dominic.radermacher at gmx.de
Thu May 12 12:24:53 PDT 2005

Hi all,

last time I have seen discussions here about alternative encoders, or
tuned versions of the encoder.
Last year (sept/oct) there had been the discussion if existing streams
will be peelable or if they have to be "modified" first to be peelable.

Now for my question:

Is it known allready if existing streams will be peelable or not ?
Or, with other words: Is it known if the /can/ be modified in a way
that they are peelable ? If so, will the stream loose in quality
when doing such modification ?
Which of the existing encoders one should use to get streams which
will be peelable in future ?
I think I am not alone with this questions, since it is one of the
most elementar advantages over other lossless encoded formats (like
mp3) - I dont bother if it will take some more years to /implement/
peeling, but I really would bother if when its done, I should realise
that none of my streams actually is peelable (and possibly cant made
peelable ?)

Thanks in advance for any hints,

Dominic Radermacher