[Vorbis] RM to Vorbis?

Christopher Harrington webkid at webkid.com
Sat Mar 19 22:21:26 PST 2005

You may be new to this.

First off, Vorbis streams don't have an extension. They are encapsulated
within a container format called Ogg when they are stored on disk, and
that container format has the extension of .ogg . This is why it is
technically incorrect for music players to label ".ogg" files as Ogg
Vorbis, because Ogg is simply an encapsulation format, not an audio
file. (For example, you could store JPEGs in an Ogg file, if you wanted to)

As for your first question, there are probably over a thousand. One I
used before I ditched Windows was dbPowerAmp ( http://www.dbpoweramp.com
) which provided reasonable to excellent quality with transcoding and
ripping.

Something you'll see a lot on in discussions about Vorbis is the
transcoding of MP3 into Vorbis. This is not recommended for technical
reasons that are a little complicated, but the same rule applies to ANY
lossy-compressed audio stream. RealMedia, MP3, AAC, WMA, and Vorbis,
when transcoded to another of the same list, will sound *worse* almost
100% of the time. Don't do it unless you need to. What would be best is
re-ripping your original CDs or other media into Vorbis directly.

-Chris Harrington