[Vorbis] Pretec Allegro does not appear to play Oggs

Kenn Hamm kenn at aspeiro.net
Tue Mar 15 07:01:14 PST 2005

On Mar 15, 2005, at 03:58, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:

> Not the fanciest player, but the only player I know of that plays Oggs
> (now it does!) and uses removable storage media! (I can put Oggs on my
> camera's CompactFlash and listen to it using my USB CompactFlash
> reader.)

My Pocket PC does, with WinamPAQ <http://www.winampaq.com/>, and I
don't think this is the only Pocket PC program that plays Oggs.
There's probably something for Palm OS also.  My particular Pocket PC
can take CompactFlash and Secure Digital cards, though different models
will be different.

You don't need a high-end PDA for this -- mine was only about $250, and
that was 2 years or more ago.  I only rarely play music on it since I
really want a hard-disk player, but I'm a little surprised how few
people seem to realize they can re-use PDAs this way.  Just be sure to
turn off the backlight (you aren't actually looking at the screen
anyway) and battery life is reasonable.

Kenn