[Vorbis] Ogg Vorbis QuickTime Component

Jason Detwiler jasondet at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 08:53:01 PDT 2005

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the place to ask about this, but I'm going to
try anyway. There is an ogg-vorbis plugin for iTunes on Mac OS X that
is downloadable from

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14259

or

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/13012&mode=feedback

Unfortunately, this plug-in (a Quicktime component) crashes iTunes for
the latest version of Quicktime (7). Despite over a month's worth of
complaints about this (see the messages posted at the above web page),
the component still has not been updated, and no one appears to be
working on it. So despite last month's post on this list by John
Morton on Mon May 2 19:35:47 PDT 2005, in which he stated that "the
software still builds and works everywhere", it is impossible to play
ogg files on iTunes for users of Mac OS 10.4 (it comes with Quicktime
7 and cannot be down-graded, as is the case for previous versions of
the OS). Of course, getting another player is possible, but then users
need two players, one for their ogg files and one for their iTunes
files.

So my question for the vorbis list is: do any of you know who to
contact about this Ogg Vorbis Quicktime Component? I would even be
willing to get involved in it if I had any idea what to do.

thanks,
Jason