[Vorbis] Re: storage format question.

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Fri Jul 29 23:55:23 PDT 2005

Graham Mitchell schrieb:
>>Actually, I think it is not required to store vorbis encoded bitstrean
>>in ogg containers. One can just store it as is, but one will have to
>>make a seperate decoder for that..
>>Please correct me if this is wrong.
> Vorbis DOES require some sort of container, but it doesn't have to be Ogg.
> There is Vorbis-over-RTP, for example, which some have used for streaming
> with lower latency than Ogg requires.  You could even use some other
> container like AVI or MOV, though nobody but you would know how to decode it.

Storing Vorbis in AVI is more or less impossible, and same is valid for
WAV, as the two expect a constant number of samples to be encoded in
each block. alexnoe, the creator of a tool called avi-mux GUI, has
defined a way how to do it ( using some sort of padding IIRC ), but he
admits the overhead would be quite huge, leaving it all pretty
pointless. The old ACM codec interface ( Video for Windows 'Audio Codec
Manager' API ), which can normally be used to write a codec plugin for
AVI tools like Virtualdub, is even worse : its CBR only ;) .....

Christian
matroska project admin
http://www.matroska.org